Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Apr 25, 2007
ES
I need a unit with a capacity of more than 380 extensions.
I think the IPOffice does not reach this capacity. That model could install?

thanks Guys.

what type of extensions?

Extension Capacity

The maximum number of H323 IP phones supported by an IP Office system is based on that system's maximum capacity for extensions of any type as listed in the table below. To find the capacity for IP phones remove the number of physical non-IP extensions installed on the system, ie. extension ports on the IP Office control unit and any external expansion modules.

IP Office Unit

Maximum
Extensions

Maximum VCM
Channels

Small Office Edition

28 Total/16 IP[1]

3[2] or 16[2]

IP406 V2

IP412

IP Office 500

384[3]

1. The maximum extension capacity is 28 for all phone types but only 16 may be IP phones.
2. Fixed non-adjustable capacity.
3. 384 for IP Office 5.0+. 272 for earlier versions.

put in 2 of them and SCN them together. we are doing one like that.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

We have one with a second IPO just for analog devices such as fax/modems. We also use that ipo for extension like conference rooms, those rooms don't use much features like PhoneManager.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

I have a system with 400+ extensions - combo of analog digital and IP stations. Running for two years without an issue. However, should you have an issue, you may have trouble getting official support.
Mike

Hello HSM,

Did I put all the values in the right columns? (This TGML stuff drives me nuts...:)

In another thread there was concern expressed over a lot of SIP traffic combined with IP phones. Is there any rule of thumb one should use in balancing SIP trunking and IP phones before going to TDM trunking from a SIP gateway so one doesn't overload the IPO's processor?

Thanks,
WN

[tt]IP Office Unit MaximumExtensions Maximum VCMChannels

Small Office Edition 28 Total/16 IP[1] 3[2] or 16[2]

IP406 V2 190 30

IP412 360 60

IP Office 500 384[3] 128

1. The maximum extension capacity is 28 for all phone types but only 16 may be IP phones.
2. Fixed non-adjustable capacity.
3. 384 for IP Office 5.0+. 272 for earlier versions. [/tt]

If you are already close to or exceeding th emaximum design capacity I would suggest that IPO is probably not the correct solution for your needs

IPG,
That is definitely a possibility that must be considered.

I am hoping to draw on everyone's experiences with what they have observed as the maximum-capacity threshold is approached. The lab tested capacities may be very different from capacities experienced in real-life field deployments. In our case we are relying on the majority (90%) of our traffic arriving on SIP trunks and being sent to IP phones. In a recent discussion in the forum it was brought up that SIP traffic is rather processor intensive and it might be best to use a SIP gateway to send traffic through E1/T1 cards to the IPO. That is an expensive way to handle calls, but somewhere there may be a point where that might be necessary. I am hoping the group will be able to share some of their observations that would help to determine the cross-over point, whether that would be multiple IPO 500 units using SIP and IP phones, or fewer IPO units with E1/T1 cards and SIP gateways. We cannot get away from the SIP trunks and IP phones because of the need for diverse locations and necessary flexibility of deployment and configuration.

Thanks,
WN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back