Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office 500V2A and paging port beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlsabin

Vendor
Jul 29, 2008
US
As has been discussed here before the new 500V2A cabinets have a high pitched power supply whine which can be quite annoying if the cabinet is going to be mounted in an occupied area. I had an install where the cabinet was to be mounted in an unoccupied area and figured the whine would not matter. As soon as i connected the page port to the paging system the whine was broadcast over the loudspeakers for everyone's listening pleasure. As soon as the manager heard the whine he said it was unacceptable and the old system needed to be put back in place till we could get rid of the whine. Just thought I would give everyone else a heads up so they don't have to go through the same thing. I have contacted my distributor and am getting ready to open a ticket with Avaya to see if they have a solution to resolve the power supply whine.

Rick​

How many have you experienced this with? I have installed a couple of them and didn't notice the whine.

The last two systems we have received have had the power supply whine. One of them is so bad that I could not leave it plugged in on the bench because the whine was so loud that it was giving people a headache. Hopefully Avaya has addressed the issue so we don't run into it on future systems.

Rick

Thanks for the info, I will watch for that issue on new installs.

Never noticed yet, anyway it could be due to the swicthing technology and a "suffering" component or a RF noise, which can explain the issue about the loudspeaker, in this case it could be solved by a good grounded shield wiring and making the IPO far away from the loudspeaker amplifier.

IamaSherpa you get the whine right out of the IP Office if you test it with a test set so its not something thats being induced into the wiring.

"As soon as i connected the page port to the paging system"

What are you using as the page port? - Analog station port or Analog trunk port?

You may have to use a SIP paging interface like the Algo SIP Alerter

Yes, I have noticed the whine on more than one V2A and am the one who posted about it originally. It seems to be hit and miss, some V2As have it, others don't.

I am using an analog station port for page access. I replaced the 500V2A cabinet with an older 500V2 cabinet we had on the shelf and the whine immediately went away.

For what its worth, I have a new 500V2A, PCS02 sitting next to me and no noticeable noise at all from the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back