Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP office 500 v2 SD card issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2003
I was told that the ip office loses the cfg file and defaults due to the slot in the ip office cab itself being bad and when you put in the SD card it doesn't seat properly and that there was a batch of bad cabinets that need replacing.. anyone heard of this???

Bullshit :)
The config goes default because it goes read only.
This is solved in 6.0.18

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

Sarcasm, it's only one of the services I offer.

No is not the problem still persist in 6.0 18 we have the same problem in two of our systems both REL.6.0 18 we solve the problem on one of them by replacing the SD card

That must be adifferent issue.

yep, thinkin multiple issues there...
have had replacement SD card appear to solve, although time will tell, and we're not going to use peeved off clients to test on :)
have had 6.0.18 also same issue with defaulting.. swapping out SD card there tomorrow.

had a site that defaulted, yet the config.cfg file wasn't 0 bytes in length? how does that work?
it booted to default, yet took the card out, and in the laptop reader, the config.cfg file was of a valid length?

I must be missing something...

sorry hadn't heard bout the cabinet problem as yet. We're in far off corner of the world.

You had a defaulted config on 6.0.18 ???
That will be fun :)

I just had it on a system running 6.1 :)
The whole card was turned in to read only.

I too have just had this on our inhouse system running v6.1.5 and have recently had the problem on a site running V6.0.18

Incompatible or invalid SD card fitted

Monkey

Although I have always gotton the card working again.
Uncheck read only or recreate or even a format with windows was sometimes needed.

When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

Yes so have I, the Issue's are still there though!
The Inhouse system had been upgraded through the 3 versions of 6.0 and never had the problem, only then about a week after it had been upgraded to V6.1.5 thats when I noticed the problem.
Also noticed that you can pull & send configs as normal but the changes don't take which could result in a very angry customer if they have made a s**t load of changes only to find the system doesn't like them!

Mine was running on secondary software.
I think it is a SD card problem anyway.
When you google on SD card trouble then you see this a lot on photo camera's too.

We do have a system with this secondary software problem. I have to inspect this in more detail on site.
But, what the heck does this mean anyway? At least the docs say, 1st boot path is SD-Card\system\primary. If this is not possible do to i.e. a faulty SD-Card it will boot from NVRAM (have another system with this error, but is working fine anyway). So, this 'secondary software' must be 3rd choice. Is it SD-Card\system\backup ? There is no optional SD Card fitted.
I don't understand this and the different errors and what the system is doing anyway confuses me.

When the ipo boots then it first looks on the SD card in the primary folder but the card doesn't work so it tries the backup folder but that one doesn't either.
Then it tries the other SD card (if it is there)
If not found then it has the config stored in it's own flash memory.
That is running secondary software.
This is without any licenses.

When you are going to troubleshoot this then pull the SD card and put it in a card reader.
The firs try must be unchecking read only on the system folder.
If that doesn't work then you need to backup the config and recreate the SD card.
If that doesn't work then ask us :)

I had to read the docs several time to understand.
In the end it may be a read-only problem, but the way IPO is booting is more complex.

First it looks for a IP500v2.bin file. It does this in /primary, NVRAM, /backup, opt/primary, opt/backup, BOOTP.
Depending on where it founds a IP500v2.bin it will take a config file from the same location if possible. It looks if a cfg is present and valid. If not, NVRAM is used or a default config. It does not look in /backup or optional card when booted from system SD card. The order is SD card location of loaded BIN, then NVRAM.
If NVRAM had to be used, it tries to copy it to /primary and raise an alarm.

This means, if a BIN is found in /primary but the CFG is not present or not valid, it uses the CFG from NVRAM and copies it over to /primary and raise an alarm.

Since the BIN is already there and static it can boot from it, but because of problems with the SD card handling it may have problems to properly write the CFG and hence cannot use it for next boot.

But what is the cause? The card, the writer i.e. the v2 unit or a firmware problem?

And to get it fixed with recreating the card, would mean the safest way is:
Take a backup with manager. Eject the card and copy the /dynamic folder. Format the card with manager, and recreate it. Restore the /dynamic folder. But not the config. Just insert the card and reboot (or wait for midnight). The system will copy the config to /primary. Let the system do it to avoid issues with access rights.

You need to make sure that you have a backup of all the messages etc and greetings but also the config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back