Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ip office 500 v2 release 11 used for a gateway on ACO and supported phones? No digital? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPM86

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2023
US
So I was just reading up on the Avaya Cloud and thought it was a pretty nify of them to allow you to use your IP Office v2/2a as a gateway.
The features they listed was nice. T1, fail over to local line, etc etc. But, one thing I could not figure out.
Sounds to me like they are dropping all support for digital phones. Unless the terminology is wrong. My
understanding is you have Analog phones (Standard house hold phone.), Digital phones (ex: Avaya 1400 series) and IP phones.
They go into detail on some Avaya IP phones can connect directly to the cloud.

So they put it can support 384 Analog extensions and 40 Simultaneous calls.

Just wondering if somebody could clear this up. If it is true you cannot use digital stations. I do understand this. They are pushing to the cloud and ip only phones.
But, in my opinion this is also why Avaya is loosing out.

Thanks,

Josh

You are correct, no support for digital extensions - very strange

The IP Office system supports up to 384 analog extensions connected to Avaya Cloud Office™ using the following hardware:

Analog Extension Ports

IP Office ACO ATA Gateway mode supports up to 384 analog extension ports:

IP500 Analog Phone Cards

These base cards provide either 2 or 8 analog extension ports depending on the card model.

IP500 ATM Combination Cards

Each of these base cards provides a combination of 6 digital extensions ports, 2 analog extension ports, 4 analog trunk ports and 10 VCM channels. You can install a maximum of 2 ATM combination cards. The solution does not support the digital extension ports.

IP400 Phone V2 External Expansion Modules

Each of these external expansion modules supports 16 or 30 analog extension ports depending on the module model.

Other phones and extensions
Updated on Apr 06 2023
This solution only supports analog extensions connecting to Avaya Cloud Office™.

If the IP Office hardware used includes non-analog extension ports, Avaya does not support the use of those additional ports.

You must clearly label the additional extension ports as non-functional.

You must remove any user records created in the IP Office configuration for the non-ACO extensions.

Note: The system automatically creates extension records for all physical extension ports. Even if you remove these, the system automatically recreates them after any system restart.

Other IP phones, including Avaya phones, can connect from the customer site to Avaya Cloud Office™ directly. The provisioning and operation of those phones is separate from the IP Office

You know that its politics/marketing - selling you what Avaya wants to sell rather than what you might want to buy. With digital/IP sets, users would quickly see that the gateway's own local features were actually lot easier and more powerful than ACOs. The technical aspect, if any, would be the extra work required to make the digital phones not display the IP Office menus when attached to an IP Office that's in ACO gateway mode. But that would require time and resources and we all know what has happened to IP Office in that area. So instead, a quick and dirty analog phones only solution with not many of the IP Office features removed, just a "not supported" label applied. That allows Avaya to claim that there is an ACO migration path for existing IP Office systems (even if the path might severely underwhelm from the technical point of view).

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Thanks Sizbut. I thought the reason was commercial rather than technical. Looks like this is the 'wean' in a previous thread.

If you have an IPO at a release prior to supporting high capacity ATA, you can register a SIP trunk to a SIP user on ACO. With each user of ACO you would be able to make 7 calls on that "trunk". Here you would be able to route calls back and forth.

Once you are on the release that requires you to go into "ACO Mode", you will no longer be able to register to sip.ringcentral.com.

Obviously, this is a "not supported" work around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back