Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP office 406 & POTS extension ringing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCCIT

IS-IT--Management
Dec 23, 2005
GB
I have an IP office 406 v2 (UK) with a 16 port analog extension unit (from previous argent office system but upgraded to latest firmware) most extensions work fine, however some of them do not ring correctly or never ring at all no matter what type of analog phone (real basic one or dect phone) is connected.

As an example. I have 1 extension # 307 if you ring it the call display comes up shwoing caller etc but the phone never rings or sometimes it rings for a bit then stops then rings again and then stops, if you leave it ringing the call ID eventually goes blank wth no ringing and then a few seconds later it will ring briefly and the call ID will show just CALL rather than the extension calling etc.

It is very odd and seems inconsistent, ie I plug the same phone into another extension and it works fine, swap a working extension phone and the problems remains so it almost seems to be extension # or port linked, it has happended on 3 of the ports now, could it just be the ports failing.

Any help much appreciated.

If you are 100% that the phone does not need a ring capacitor then it sounds like a hardware fault on the extension module i'm afraid.

your best practice would be to get a volt meter, check standard voltage (should be 48v or thereabouts) and then ring the extension. The ring voltage should be around 75 volts.

If the voltage is correct then the unit is ok, that's as complex as an analogue port gets. You then have to look at the analogue phone. Many BT phones need ring capacitors to enable the ringing. You will find strange things, for example if you plug it in and ring the ext, it will ring. If you ring it again, it might ring once then stop. If you ring a 3rd time it won't full stop.

On the extensions that do work, try ringing a few times and see if it works constantly...

Hi TheTaker

Thanks for the advice, I will check this out, all our analogue phones have the master pbx (RJ45 to BT Phone) adapters, in fact because of the problem we had I actually swapped them all out for new ones.

I will measure the voltage and see what I get. We all the same phones (BT Dect Freestyle 6300) and most work fine with no problems, two extensions started doing it and to temp fix it I moved both of them to actual 2 analog pots on the 406 unit and that fixed it for them!, then a 3rd and 4th extension started doing it, the 4th unit I managed to solve just by moving it to the next port that was spare (so I assumed that perhaps the POT unit was failing, but I tried putting the 3rd unit to same spare POT and problem followed it.

I will try as you suggested by checking the ring voltage first then work from there.

thanks for the input. much appreciated.

Alchemy POTs units have the ring capacitor inside the module as do v1 IP400 Phone units. The lastest IP400/500 v2 Phones units don't.

It could be a power issue. I would try swap the PSU to the POTs module. If not swap the unit.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back