Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Helper and Bridged VLANs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobthecat

Technical User
Jul 12, 2001
GB
Hi, our NT team has asked if we can implement DHCP on our network. They propose to use two servers (main/backup) and make use of the IP helper command on our routing modules (2*CAT5500+RSMs). I can see difficulties as we have 23 Vlans and two RSMs running HSRP between them, to add to the problem 9 of our Vlans are in the same bridge group.
1) I am concerned the both RSMs will forward the DHCP request to the same server?
2) Where the VLANs are bridged, the RSMs on each VLAN will all forward the DHCP request to the same server(if they all have IP helper configured)

I hope you can picture this, I no how hard it can be to fault from a text description.

Bob ^^

not sure if we have same setup but the ip helper address go under the int vlanN part of config and can be set to a variety of addresses

Bridged? you mean routed?

You can use IP helper to forward DHCP along with 9 other protocols or you can forward just the UDP needed for DHCP(BOOTP).. it's your option.

Set the scopes for each subnet and it works great.. we have over 50 scopes for each subnet(remotesite)

MikeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back