Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP error ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poliv

Programmer
Jun 3, 2000
US
I have a NT server 4 connected to PC's with Windows 98 and Windows millennium. Recently I replace 7 PC's to others, and I note that the LAN is more slowly now.
I don't now what is the problem but I notice that when I execute the command TRACERT -J PC1 I received the message
ONE OF THE IP OPTIONS IS INVALID.

P.S.: I configure the PC's to obtain a TCP/IP address automaticaly

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about the "ONE OF THE IP OPTIONS IS INVALID" error. I bet you would have gotten this same error before the change in your environment. In fact, I've tried the same command in my environment and got the same error. I know that I was trying the command between routers...maybe ICMP was turned off?

Anyway, I am assuming that you are only using TCP/IP. Maybe you have an IP conflict somewhere. Or maybe NETBUI hasn't been turned off on all of the machines. Also, check to make sure the new machines aren't of a slower CPU compared to the old machines.

How much slower is the LAN? You may have to use Network Monitor to try an discover who is "talking" the most on the network...you may have to use a network sniffer. Also, try to disconnect the seven machines. Then, add one machine at a time. While doing this, note the LAN speed. Eventually, you should find the problem.

Hope this helps... Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back