Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP DOS Boot disk for NetWare 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLad

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
GB
Guys

Has anyone ever built an IP DOS Boot disk that can connect to an IP NetWare 5 server? Currently, we use an IPX boot disk with VLM's but when we move to a pure IP environment this will not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Same question - did anyone find an answer?

I'd love to get our DOS clients over to an IP-only stack in our Netware 5 environment.

pgn@connectfree.co.nospam.uk
---

Thank you, TheLad - your solution, and how it operates in a test environment, will be tried later this week.

If you like, I can keep you posted.

It is hoped that adopting an IP-only approach will enhance the resilience of DOS clients to a brief "interruption to service" outage, as happens, for example, when resources are moved from one node to another node in a NW5 cluster environment. Currently, IPX-only DOS clients require a reboot to reconnect to the relocated resource.

Regards

---

Keep us updated via this post - I am sure other people will be interested in your progress ....

Glad I could of been some help. If you have problems configuring the disk, post also. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I found this disk on the Novell site. I tried it and it works... for ethernet. We are using token ring as well and I can't get it to work for token ring. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate the advice. I mean besides get rid of the token ring.

Oh! becareful of the NIC drivers your are using. I was trying to get and intel onboard NIC to go and I used the latest drivers. Needless to say it didn't work. I had to use the older drivers to work.

solorio@calumet.purdue.edu

I thought I'd share some of the links related to this, especially as I am part-way to getting a working IP-only stack (NLM based) for use in a NW5.1 environment.

1st, from Novell (don't let the title fool you!):

Related, another good source of various older clients:

And for the official "big" picture:

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back