Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP connecting gateways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class26

Technical User
Oct 23, 2007
US
Could someone give me a quick rundown on the step required to convert an EPN into ip connect.

Currently. Our EPNs are connected with a ds1-c and exp-int card in each cabinet. I suppose it would require swapping out the maintenance board to a TN775D and adding an IPSI and Medpro card.... I was also told I would have to swap out an old cable in the back of the epn to a cat 5...

Also, what programming would be involved in making the change. I am less clear on that aspect.

Any help or even a link to somewhere I can find this info would be appreciated.

A couple of other questions though:

Would all the stations be required to be removed to perform the change?

What are the pros/cons of going this route instead of purchasing newer G350's or G700's?

Thanks again for any help. The users on this site have helped me in the past and I hope in the future I can return the favor to other new members.

Depending on the size of the EPN, you may also want to consider adding G650's. You basically still need all of the same parts and the G650 carrier only adds about $2K each to your project. The G650 would allow you to get the gateway up ahead of time and lower possibility of having issues the night of the cut for not much extra cost. Added bonuses would be less space, 19" rack mountable, and cat-5 backplane connectivity. You would just move the amphenol cables and change port assignments on the night of the cut.

-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back