Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

intel233

MIS
Feb 24, 2007
US
Is there a way to turn this popup off? We have an exec who keeps getting it and we are not sure why. We changed the cable, nic, port in the switch and he gets but but he can work. So I would like to kill that message from appearing.

Generally it is because the machine has the IP at a fixed address which happens to fall into the range of the automatically assigned addresses (known as the DHCP pool).

The solution is to change the assignment of IP address to automatic in the properties of IP address on the exec's computer or change the pool address in the router to not assign the address in conflict.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I agree with edfair. Instead of trying to get rid of the popup, (the symptom) try fixing the actual underlying problem.

Something in the network is using the same IP address as the computer in question.

If the computer is using a statically assigned IP, try giving it one that is not part of the dynamically assigned (DHCP) range.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

Again, we have tried. He is not on DHCP anymore. When he was DHCP I had a reservation. We assigned a static IP. He is still getting it. We swapped the NIC and hope that works but I need a way to surpress the message.

How about trying to find the offending duplicate, if there is one.

With his computer disconnected from the local network run the program "angryip" on another machine. That will give you a list of all active devices on the local segment. Your anti-virus may get a little upset but the program is not a virus. I use the version 2.2.1.

You specify the ip range to scan and all active nodes reply back and the results are stored.

Ed Fair

I have done a scan and nothing shows. I am still trying to figure this out.

Does the user have a wi-fi connection on the same machine connected at the same time?

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Also, does the machine come out of sleep and this happens.
What is the lease time set to. perhaps its too short or too long.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Are you comfortable killing services in the networking area. IPv6 for example. Or anything else not needed.

Ed Fair

Could it be the DNS? Try ipconfig /flushdns

Second DHCP server on network from a server or another router plugged in?

To verify, shut down KNOWN DHCP server, plug in a new laptop and see if you get an IP address.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back