Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP conflict took down system .. restored phone but no vioice

Status
Not open for further replies.

donna0909

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2004
US
We have three campuses (3 PBX systems). The phone rings, they hear us but we don't hear them. Our phone system has three static IPs and a problem occurred when DHCP serer was rebooted and DHCP handed out our IP addresses. We've been able to restore the phone system, but we don't hear the voice. We've now excluded these static IPs from our DHCP server, but we don't hear the voice. Only rings. DHCP zones are setup correctly now. We've tried making reservations to the MAC addresses but that didn't help. We know we have working hardware.

To me it sounds like an issue with a router/switch. The Corals are signalling correctly (calls are connected) but problems with speech mean that there's an issue with the RTP traffic. Assuming you've not changed any config in the Coral then the problem is elsewhere.

Depending on your switches/routers they may have cached IP address/MAC addres. When you had multiple devices with the same IP the switches may have cached this and things are getting lost along the way. This is just a possibility, not a guarantee :)

Reboot router/switch, clear cache etc and try again.

Thank you .... last night we rebooted the switch that the PBX is plugged into and cleared the cache. The phones on exhibit the same behavior. Can ring, but can't hear voice. This is a 3 campus configuration and the two campuses that are down are the remote campuses. The phones where phone calls go out and are received have no problems. It is intercampus and when others from the outside are phoning an extension on that campus. I agree that it appears to be a router/switch issue. Are there other routers/switches that should be considered? Thanks.

I'd get a Packet Capture and view in Wireshark to see where there RTP packets are going. You'll need to replicate the port the PUGW is plugged into on the switch on another switch port. That'll show you for sure where the speech is going.

Just to confirm...
* You have 3x Corals, one on each site? Or 1x Coral with remote phones?
* Assuming you have 3x Corals each with PUGW and phones connected to each PUGW as well as trunks (IPNet?) between Corals, can phones on the same site call each other and talk ok? I'm pretty sure that's the way I read it and if so then it's definitely a routing between site issue.

Appreciate your posting. All services have been reestablished, but questions remain on what was the issue. First .. Yes, we have 3x Corals each with PUGW and phones connected to each PUGW as well as IPNet trunks between Corals. Phone on the same site can call each other and talk. The problem of not hearing the voice was on the two remote campuses that use the IPnet trunks. We replaced the PUGW card on the Coral on the main campus that the IPnet trunks connect to. This resolved the issue - voice now could be heard. We are wondering if replacing the card caused some cache to be cleared or forced an update within the PBX and the "old" card actually didn't have a problem We are considering (off hours) to replace the new card with the old for testing purposes. Prudent or not really wise??

Definitely swap it back for testing. I doubt the fault will return as I'm sure it's not a config issue - after all, you didn't change any config.

I wouldn't be surprised if unplugging/plugging the card is what resolved it. The fact that you swapped the card whilst it was unplugged I think is is irrelevant. There maybe some "cache" in the Coral/PUGW that was reset during this process.

Post what happens when you put the old card back in. I'd be interested to hear.

In my opinion it was the UGW no being "Awake" and resetting it solved the issue.
I agree with this:
I wouldn't be surprised if unplugging/plugging the card is what resolved it. The fact that you swapped the card whilst it was unplugged I think is is irrelevant. There maybe some "cache" in the Coral/PUGW that was reset during this process.

I have had this issue and rebooting the ugw solves it.
Make sure you are at the newest version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back