Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Boot disk using Xircom drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhogaj31

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2003
GB
Hi

I am sure this is not in the correct forum but I couldn't find a forum for this query.

I am using a TCPIP boot disk which with which I can boot to a network share.

There is a protocol.ini and a system.ini file which refer to a file called "EL90x.dos".

I use this disk to boot my DELL GX1 and GX110 desktops on to the network and they have "3c918 Integrated fast ethernet controller (3c905b-tx Compatible)" on board cards in them.

I now need to boot a selection of laptops onto the network and they all use "RealPort Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56" cards.

Can someone tell me what files I need to edit to make it load the correct drivers. What edits I need to make and what dos drivers I need on the disk.

This would be a big help.

Regards

Jat

Does the RealPort Ethernet NIC manufacturer make DOS drivers for them?

I did a search on for DOS drivers for a "Xircom RealPort Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56" and it found the following.

A file called "CBENDIS.EXE" is available from "downloadfinder.intel.com". But the link to it either very old or incorrect as it is unable to find that particular card.

I take it that "CBENDIS.EXE" extracts the dos drivers to a folder on your C:\Drive or something like that.

Can I download this driver from anywhere else?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Ok I have mangaged to download "CBENDIS.EXE" but I don't know how to use it on my boot disk.

When I run it I just get a dos window which tells me all the switches I need to configure it .

I just need a dos driver to put on my boot floppy and then reference it in some way .

Any ideas anyone.

create a config sys with similar content:

DEVICE=\net\protman.dos /I:\net
DEVICE=\net\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\net\Cbendis.exe

there must be a protocol.ini in the \net directory containing:

[protman]
drivername=PROTMAN$

[pktdrv]
drivername=PKTDRV$
bindings=nic
intvec=0x60
chainvec=0x66

; The following section contains information specific to your network card
[nic]
drivername = XIRCOM$
; no parameters

In the autoexec.bat you typically execute the netbind command.

This is not a config for full lanman access, but I use that for multicasting ghost.
In order to get access to a share you need to add some more stuff (search microsoft technet).
Hope this helps, Wwho

Hi

Thanks for the reply .

Where can I get "dis_pkt.dos"? I didn't have it so I didn't include that linein my "config.sys".

Now I get the message on boot up "Memory address ff000, A free memory segment could not be found"

I suppose I need that file on the floppy somewhere e.g in the \Net directory.

Regards

Jat

Does anyone know where I can get the "dis_pkt.dos" file ???

I have no way of booting up my laptop with this Xircom card without this.

Or can someone tell me what to do about the error message I have put down in the previous post.

regards

Jat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back