Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP and NIC Teaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmdeassis

MIS
May 18, 2000
US
Hello all-

Here is the scenario:

I'm about to team my nics in my HP server. I have one nic with already a static ip and about to assign another static ip to the 2nd nic. Once I team the nics can I still use the static ip assigned to the 1st nic? If so how do I do that? If I can help I do not want to use the static IP given to the 2nd nic.

Both nics will be plugged into the same switch.

Thanks for your help.

H

hmdeassis,

What OS are you using? Also, you have to bind the ports on the switch as well.

Windows will create a 3rd interface, which is the binding of the two physical ones. You would need to configure that interface with the IP address you want, if you had a Window OS.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We are using windows 2003.

I thought that we did not need to bind the switch ports. One was going to be for out boud trafic and the other for inbound?

Am I wrong here?

Thanks for your reply.

The HP Network Configuration Utility will be used to create the NIC team. This will create a new NIC Team adapter that you will define your TCPIP settings. Beyond that and depending on your switch, you would "trunk" (different switch manufacturers have different terminology) two ports together, then back under the HP Network Configuration Utility on the server, you would change the load balancing type to switch assisted load balancing.

Hope that helps.

If you don't trunk the ports it will still work, most modern switches can figure it out. However, you don't get true wire speed. The server NICs can take more sessions on each NIC but any one transfer won't eclipse the single speed of a NIC... like having two processors in a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back