Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Allocations for Multi Site GRE VPN Tunnels

Status
Not open for further replies.

J001

Technical User
Mar 23, 2007
GB
Hell0,

I am trying to configure GRE VPN Tunnels between 10 sites with EIGRP. This will be a fully meshed VPN.

Is it better to use /30 or /27 ip addressing.

Regards,

Thank you but I am looking to do a manual configuration on routers.

Not sure why you would want to do manual configuration as DMVPN is definitely the way to go.

But if you do, then a /31 is what you should use. Maximize the amount of IP addresses and it is easier to deal with.

I am not sure I understand... The GRE tunnels create a point to point link from one site to another... ?

Yes, a GRE tunnel is a point to point connection; unless you use something like DMVPN.

The basics of DMVPN are:

1) You have 1 or more hub sites, then you have spoke sites

2) The spoke sites connect to the hub

3) If a spoke site needs to talk to another spoke site the hub will enable the two spokes to talk directly without going through the hub and wasting bandwidth

This is a very simple explanation of it and there is a lot going on there, but that is the basics.

How much does this software cost ?

I assume its software that does the configuration for you ?

It is a feature in Cisco routers, but you must have the right software version and router model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back