Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP-adress in conflict..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kujen

Technical User
Oct 13, 2007
SE
Hi all,

I have a wireless network with a ADSL modem/router with DHCP and a wireless DLink 'Range Extender' - DWL-G710.

I get: 'Windows - System Error. There is an IP-adress in conflict with another system on the network'.

Everything looks right except that 'MYCOMPUTER' and 'Range Extender have the same Mac-adress.
I have three different MAC addresses that relates to MYCOMPUTER

1.) From MYCOMPUTER ipconfig /all:
Physical address: 00-19-5b-eb-34-52

2.) From 'Configure' on MYCOMPUTER' network card:
Local Administartion MAC Network Address: 00DEADBEEFCAFE

3.) From the router 'Attached Devices':
# IP Address Device Name MAC Address
1 192.168.0.4 MYCOMUTER 00:21:91:DA:78:51
2 192.168.0.31 RANGE EXTEND 00:21:91:DA:78:51

Should't it be just one MAC address per device?

Kent J.

Your pc and router shouldn't have the same mac, did you copy one to the other?

No, I did't copy one to the other.
The wireless network card is from D-Link same as the Range Extender.

I got me another wireless network adaptor 'Sweex LW057V2 wireless LAN 54 mbps' but I still have this strange same MAC address phenomenon.
I don't get this 'IP in conflict..' any longer.

With D-link adaptor I had full signal strength and 54 mbps. Now I still have full signal strength but only half the speed.

Kent J.

At this point I would contact manufacture and see if thay can resolve the problem. Every device has it's own MAC and shouldn't be assigned a new on unless you change it yourself.

On the Mac address portion, I believe there is a question during a new router setup, something like "clone PC Mac address?" and it'd be very easy to say "yes", as that might be the default, I don't remember. I specifically remember this with he D-Link router setups.

Of course, by now, you might not even be looking at this thread, but I just now read it for the first time.

The reason the router will do this, I think, is that apparently some modems will give more difficulty if they see a different mac address attempting to connect/communicate with them.

Anyhow, along those lines, make sure the Mac address on your router's sticker matches what's in the router config page. If not, update that, save changes, then:
[ol][li]Unplug the router and modem (doesn't really matter the order for this part)[/li]
[li]Wait 30 seconds to a minute[/li]
[li]Plug back in the modem.[/li]
[li]Wait another 15 to 20 seconds[/li]
[li]Plug back in the router.[/li]
[li]Restart Windows on any Windows computer that is attempting to connect - you can probably initiate the restart of Windows as soon as you plug back up the router.[/li][/ol]

Then see if your problems are resolved - if you've not arleady fixed it all prior to this.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Hi,
Thanks, I've tried everything but nothing works.

Now I have iterruptions in the communication with 30 sec to 1 min intervalls - even I don't do anything. If I look in the system eventviewer I'll constant get:

"The system detected that network adapter Sweex LW057V2 Wireless LAN PCI Card 54 Mbps was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter."

Kent J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back