Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ip addy problem w/linksys router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozispimp

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
hi all,

i have a machine running xp pro, a 3com cable modem, and a linksys router.. now.. when i plug the cable modem directly into the computer i get one ip address, and when the router connects, it gets a completely different address..

the ip address i want is anything other than the one my router picks up.. i've had this ip address for like 6 months now, and can not get rid of it, only way is for me to connect the modem directly into my computer.

i've updated the firmware, even reset the router hoping that maybe the memory of the ip was still in there, but to no avail.. i really can't stand having this ip..

i have optimum online service..

btw, i've done dhcp release/renew.. get the same stupid ip.. any suggestions?

thanks,

In the router setup, use the Advanced features menu to clone the physical address of the computer to the router.

Use IPCONFIG /all on the workstation and write down what is displayed as the 'Physical Address'

wouldn't optimum online's DHCP server determine the IP address? I don't know why you'd get a different IP with the direct connection to the modem...it seems like it should be different every time.

what's wrong with the IP address they're giving you?

On many cable systems the DHCP lease is several days, and MAC dependent. That is why a direct connection to the modem yields one IP, while the router (different MAC) yields a second.

Because the router has a MAC cloning feature he can change the MAC presented by the router to the ISP servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back