Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP addresses stolen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmsbony

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2001
GB
I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this but here goes anyway.

The issue I have is with spam. Basically, I know I am not relaying any through my mail server. As far as I understand it this leads to one of two possible causes of this spam purporting to come from my mail server address:

1. The spam originated inside my network and out through my mail server thus bypassing any relaying issues

2. someone is nowhere near my network but is faking the mail headers to look as though they were sent from my mail server.

essentially, I can deal with 1 and am currently trying to rule it out, but I need to know if 2 is possible and if it is being done what can I do to stop it.

any guidance would be appreciated

pete

Unfortunately no 2 is possible - you may still be able to track back through the headers unless they're using an open smtp relay somewhere as well !!

Have a look at this

Program is called Phasma if you want to see how easy it is :-(.

A duplicate IP address is still possible.

I used to work with a guy who got sued by someone in California over a 3rd party signing him up for every newsletter in existance. His inbox was so full he was unable to conduct business (and rightly upset). When he traced the IP address back (via one of the newsletter sites), it pointed to my friend's dial-up account.

Obviously, my friend had never even heard of this fellow until a process-server showed up one Saturday morning with the lawsuit. He had to go to court to defend himself, but luckily his homeowners insurance covered him. In fact, the insurance company lawyer was eager to go to trial (this was the first case they'd had like this), and set some precedent.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back