Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP address/Router question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SebAguilera

Technical User
Mar 11, 2003
CA
Hi guys,

I have computer connected to the Internet via a DLINK DI-604 router with up to date firmware. Ad-Aware, Ad-Watch,and PC-Cillin are running [all up to date]. I use Win XP but do not have the Microsoft Internet Connection Firewall on.

I notice that when I run ipconfig I get the following IP address:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::220:edff:feb5:2c45%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 3ffe:831f:4004:1952:0:fbda:bd7d:dc9
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.100%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

When I have the router connected and check my IP on for example, the site correctly detects my IP as "66.130.bla1.bla2" which is the same address that IPconfig reports when I disconnect the router totally.

Is this normal? or is ipconfig supposed to report the correct IP even though my router is connected? Do I need to configure something specifically for this to happen?

The reason behind my question is related to online gaming in the following way: If I try playing an online capable games such as Halo or NHL2004, the game sees my IP address as 192.168.0.100 and nobody can connect to me. I can however connect to their game if they provide me with their IP address. I wish to configure my system so that I can keep my router and have those applications recognize my proper IP address. Also I have opened up the necessary ports for each individual application using PC-Cillin but not necessarily on the router as well. Do I have to open up the same ports on both PCCillin and my D-lInk router? Any ideas or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Seb

Yeah if you have NO router your PC will get an IP from your ISP and the website will give the same IP detection as ipconfig.
** SKIP TO THE NEXT STARTS IF THE FOLLOWING BORES YOU ** :)

If you do install a router, your router gets an IP from the ISP. Your router will then give an internal IP address to your PC. The IP address handed to you PC by your router only works internally. It is a special range of IP addresses that doesn't get routed over the internet. What happens is your router will change the IP header of all the traffic coming from your PC into the IP that was handed by the ISP (Using NAT/PAT) as such if you would have 2 PCs connected to your router they'ld get IP's from the router -> ea 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3, your router would be known by your PCs internally as 192.168.2.1 and to the external world the router would get the ISP IP address. So doing ipconfig when you have a router installed will only get an internal address which is an address that is of no use to the outer world. (as many ppl use the same addresses to internally build a network.)

Externally both PCs will be known as one IP address, that of you rouer. This is where PAT (port address translation) jumps in. To route different PCs with different internal IPs to one external IP address the router gives knowns that ea on port 1025 your PC1 is running Halo and on port 1026 your PC2 is running NHL2004 and as such you can play on 2 PCs using just one address to the outside world, but with different ports.

What must happen now is that Halo has to know you are using a router (there should be a setting somewhere where you can say ur using a gateway or something. -- I don't actually play Halo --) If you type ipconfig in a dos-window under "default-gateway" you'll see that internal address of the router. That is the address you need to type somewhere in the settings of Halo. (Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1)

N.B. if your router doesn't let you connect to the game- for whatever reason- find out on the internet what port Halo uses. Look in your manual then how to open up the port on your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back