Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP address question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maim

Programmer
Jun 25, 1999
CA
I'm running a few machines hooked up to a linux firewall/nat server. On occasion, I like hosting a game, and I have setup several port forewarding rules to do so. However, in order to get the external ip (24.xxx.xxx.xxx) from a windows machine, I need to open a browser, login to the web admin and get the ip from there.

Is there a way I may be able to acquire the ip from a batch file run from windows?

-----------------------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rich Cook

Does your nat allow you to use a range of ip addresses? If so, you can give that machine an ip outside of that range. This is usually done for servers.

Hi, I'm not sure I understand the response but the IP is dynamically assigned by the ISP, all machines connectd (up to three max) have IPs ranging from 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.3, it also has DHCP capability, which I use with my laptop with addresses from 100 to 150.

-----------------------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rich Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back