Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Address Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cntcomplain

Technical User
Jul 4, 2005
US
Hi,
I hope not to offend by asking this question, but I'm curious. I play on an online poker site. The other night I referred my neighbor as friend so she would get a bonus and I could get a bonus also for her signing up.

She signed up on her computer and downloaded software and all that good stuff. She had trouble making the deposit and figuring out which company to go through to make a deposit(Neteller, etc.), so she come to my house. I know the security at these sites is tight, so I unplugged my broadband and dialed up a connection through a dial up ISP that I have so as to have a different IP address when signing into her account so they wouldn't shut us down as scamming. To make a long story short, they knew that I was signing in on two different accounts on the same computer anyway, and we both had to fax our drivers license and other information to them so as to unlock the accounts and continue to receive the bonus.

How in the world do they know that if IP addresses are different? May be a stupid question, and like I said I don't want to offend anyone, because I'm not trying to scam anyone. Our accounts were froze and then unfroze because we proved that we were two different people and 2 different addresses and the names of those who made the deposits matched the ID's. I made myself look suspicious trying not to look suspicious.

Thanks and if this is inappropriate tell me and I will take it off.

Chris

Because of the cookies in your browser, they contain the information and also the might be recording the mac address from your computer.

By dialling up you would have a different IP address, and a different mac address, therefore I suspect the cookies theory is probably closer to the mark.

Your network card/Broadband modem/broadband router will have a mac address which is passed to the gaming site, and your dial up modem will have a different mac address.

Unless your ISP issued the same address to your dial up connection as it did to your broadband connection then the IP addresses would also be different. The way this could happen is that the IP address could have been reserved for the user name and not the card, or as your broadband address was the last one to be released, it is the first one to be issued.

What would happen if a husband and wife wanted an account I do not know, as there would be even more matching data (address).

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back