Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ip address of a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsss

Technical User
Jul 5, 2005
BA
how to find ip address of a switch in a LAN?

Every switch does not have to be assigned an IP address. Also IP address can only be assigned to manageable switches like Cisco etc so you can telnet & manage them remotely. IP address in a layer 2 switch has nothing to do anything with switch’s own functionality.

Pls send me your Switch model and vendor info...

Linkers

Thanks Linkers!
I found out that my switch doesn't have ip address - traceroute gives nothing between two directly conected hosts.

Anyway it is hp procurve switch 2824

You can still assign it an IP address for management or even for configuring VLANs & Trunk Ports.

I am also few “HP ProCurve Switch 2524” & “HP J4865A ProCurve Switch 4108GL” switches.

Linkers.

If you can connect to the switch via console cable. Issue either sh ip or sh run to see what ip addresses are assigned, if any. You can run the menu command to get into a menu based system to set the ip address or you can run vlan 1 ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 from config mode, obviously change the IP address to fit your needs as well the vlan id.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

But there is a problem with HP switches, you need a very weird type of console cable (9 Pin to 9 Pin) unlike Cisco console cable which is easily available in the market.

It took me 3 months to arrange this cable from internet. There is another way of connecting to HP switches if you don’t have the right console cable. Reset the switch with two sharp objects and connect any port of the switch with a DHCP server. The switch would automatically get an IP from your DHCP and this way you can telnet to the switch on that IP.

The steps to reset an HP switch are:-

1. Using pointed objects, simultaneously press both the Reset and Clear buttons on the front of the switch. The power and fault lights come on.
2. Continue to press the Clear button while releasing the Reset button.
3. When the Self Test LED begins to blink, release the Clear button.
The switch will then complete its self test and begin operating with its configuration restored to the factory default settings.

Linkers

Code:
But there is a problem with HP switches, you need a very weird type of console cable (9 Pin to 9 Pin) unlike Cisco console cable which is easily available in the market
I use a Cisco rollover cable if I ever need to manage my HP's from the console.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back