Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Address not getting to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfcrescenzo

Technical User
Apr 18, 2011
US
Hi all,
I have an odd issue of one, only one, private IP address not getting to the internet.
The address words fine within the network, file sharing, printing, ect, however it does not get an internet connection. the IP address is sent out via DHCP.
A few computers received this address at different times so as a workaround, we reserved the address to a fake mac address, but I would like to know why can't it get to the internet?

Thanks,

give us the full ip config Is the Default Gateway and DNS settings withing the IP lease correct?

and reserving the IP to a fake MAC address will do nothing. The ip would only be reserved and in use if that actual MAC address shows up on your network.

The ip config is showing correct as per all the other computers receiving dhcp addresses.

The Gateway and DNS are correct and it can get to network resources fine, just not outward to the internet.

Also the reserve was just to set that address aside so no other computer will get this "bad" address, and it has been working.

Thanks,

when you do a tracert, where does it stop? Does it get past your internet facing router?

Hi,
Nope doesn't seem to pass the dns. Doesn't look like it is getting to the t1 line

RE: "doesn't seem to pass dns", does it not resolve names to IP addresses? If it does, I take it it does not go to the second hop? Where or what device does it stop at?

I trace route to google.com and it does come back with a google ip address. However after the first hop to the router, it times out at the second hop. The second hop should be the internet modem if i am correct

on the computer in question can you ping 4.2.2.2?

if so, change the IP to a static IP and in the entry for DNS, put that IP, 4.2.2.2. This is an external DNS server you can use for testing. Once you put that in, test your internet. If that works, then your internal DNS is not forwarding DNS requests properly to the internet DNS servers for resolution. Google: DNS forwarding for private domains.

On the computer in question I cannot ping 4.2.2.2.
I can on working computers, that can get to the internet, just not the one with the bad address

It is sounding like your TCP/IP stack is corrupted. Uninstll your network device, reboot and let it reinstall itself. Then try it again.

Uninstall the network device on the computer? The Nic?
The thing is if I get another address I have no problem, on when I get ip address of 10.0.1.34

the NIC :) Is there an IP conflict on that IP? Is there another device that is pulling that IP? Check your local DNS and see if any other device has registered that IP on an A record. If something else has it statically, them just add it as an exception in your DHCP IP Pool so it doesnt get handed out.

not showing anything getting registered within DNS :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back