Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP address from MAC address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

revsinn

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
not sure if this is the correct forum, but i am searching for a tool that will translate a MAC address to IP address. i have the MAC address of a machine that has been compromised, but without the IP address, i don't know which machine it is. i can find tools that do the reverse, but nothing that fits my need. any ideas?
thanks!

#!/usr/bin/geek

hi,

there are some tools can do a RARP (That's what you are looking for). But most of them are unlix\linux bases. Don't know if these can help. Just use google to find them. An example is the following:

regards,
Robert

Robert A.H. Wullems
Sniffer University Instructor
SCM/CNX/MSCA

How do you know this machine has been comprimised? Do you have access to a sniffer (or something like that)? If so, run that and just look for the IP that is screaming on the network.

Let say your network is class c with the address range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 then run the command below:

c:\>FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO nbtstat -a 192.168.0.%i>>nbtstat.txt

(1,1,254) - (start,step,end)
%i - variable.
nbtstat.txt - Resulting file.

This event will take awhile . .

Now open file nbtstat.txt and search for the MAC address you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back