Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP address disappears from NIC card 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddiefdz

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2002
US
Hello,

I seem to be having a weird issue on my Win2K3 box. I set a static IP address on my nic card and accept all the changes. When i come back and look at the properties of the card, it is back to DHCP! I have no idea why it does that. The funny thing is that if you run "ipconfig /all" at the command prompt, it shows that dhcp is disabled and it shows the actual static ip address that i put in. Yet when i look at the properties of the card, the card is set to DHCP. Has anyone ever seen that problem??

Thanks.

Eddie Fernandez
CCNA, Network+, A+, MCP

New server or existing???

I ran into this a couple of months ago, tried everything I could find, but to no avail. New server so I just started over, and it was fine the second time around. I don't know if you have that luxury.

I haven't seen this problem before or since.

For comparison:
The server I had was a dell poweredge, think there was an intel nic and a marvell. Both nics were doing the same tho. windows 2003 R2 Standard. Even tried upping it to SP2.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Make sure you only have 1 default gateway set between the 2 cards. If you set gateway on both, they will get confused and lock up and act iratic.

on the off chance.. is there a device with a duplicate IP address on your network?

My box is a dell 2950. I only have 1 of the cards configured.

Eddie Fernandez
CCNA, Network+, A+, MCP

You should disable the other NIC just for good measure.

Did you install the OS yourself, or did you utilize the install that came with the server (purchase from vendor)? I've noticed that on some Dell machines, that the OS that comes installed has some "funky" things going on. As karmic did, sometimes the best solution is to start off with a "controlled" install of the OS.

Eddie it just occurred to me. By any chance was this server a DHCP server at one time. I have seen this behaviour occur on a server where the DHCP client services were disabled after DHCP was setup and then it was removed. Check to make sure that the DHCP client service has not been disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back