Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ip address/Default gateway address for 2950 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

desikan

Technical User
Feb 2, 2001
AE
Hi all,
I am preparing for CCNA.
I am having a hard time trying to understand the exact concept behind using Ip address and Default gateway address for a 2950 Switch.
I want to use one of the ports as trunk to be connected to a router for connecting multi vlans.

Grateful if any one can explain the concepts in a simple way.

The IP Address on the switch and default gateway is set for management purposes like telnet, tftp. If you are not close to the switch it is definitely nice to be able to telnet in and make config changes or check on a troubled interface.

I can understand about ip address on the switch being used for vlan managnment purpose.
I read somewhere that when a switch is connected to a router, default gatesay of the switch is the ip address of the serial port in router that is connected to the switch port.
But if the switch port is made trunk and several subinterfaces are created in the router serial interface, then each sub interface will have a different ip address.
In this case, what is the default gateway of the switch?

Pardon me if I am asking a very elementary question!

the default gateway would be apart of the vlan that your management servers (snmp,tacacs) are in.

sub int 1 | sub int 2 | sun int 3
192.168.1.1 | 192.168.1.2 | 192.168.1.3
vlan1 (mgmt)|.. vlan2 |.. vlan3
tacacs |
syslog |

switch gateway =192.168.1.1

Yes for the Switch it would be the management lan and for the VLANS it would be the subinterface of the VLAN the client is in. Good JSteve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back