Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP address conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I'm using an ASUS RT-N12 router to allow a PPTP VPN into a network.
If I open a VPN session between a computer in a different location with the same subnet (192.168.1.x), will there be an IP address conflict given that the router allows giving ip addresses of VPN clients an address like 192.168.50.x

In other words, the IPCONFIG of the connected client looks like:
PPP adapter XXXXXXXX:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

You cannot VPN to a network when you're on another network containing the same IP scope.

-----------------------------------
4771494_orig.jpg

Calgary Telephone Systems, Avaya LG Asterisk (FreePBX) VOIP & TDM

Well, yes you can, because I've done it. What I've experienced though is if you type in the router IP address into a browser (e.g. 192.168.1.1) and it's the same on both ends, you get the local router instead of the remote router.

Well, again, it doesn't give me an ip address conflict, which was my original question. I'm talking about one of those Windows "duplicate IP address warnings" and whether that would ever happen.

No, Windows wouldn't detect the "conflict" because no packets or broadcasts destined for the local network scope would even go through the VPN gateway you've established. The machine simply doesn't ever consider routing packets addressed for the local network through a gateway.

-----------------------------------
4771494_orig.jpg

Calgary Telephone Systems, Avaya LG Asterisk (FreePBX) VOIP & TDM

Okay, so the reason I'm asking is that I need to link two networks (for a PC VNC connection) that have the same IP addressing scheme. I plan on changing the IP addressing scheme to fix the problem, but on a temporary basis, I want to give access from a PC at site A to PC at site B. Looks like it will work as long as the two computers don't have the same IP address.

How does this affect things? The ASUS router allows you to specify the client ip address when connected via VPN.

For example, even if the host network is 192.168.1.x, I can select 192.168.50.2 - 192.168.50.11 for VPN client ip addresses when they connect. So effectively, this would remove any chance of an IP address conflict if I understand what that setting can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back