Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Address as data source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
I delivered a crystal report to a client today and the IT guy was not there. The president wanted me to run this particular report ASAP. In the past I have just emailed this to the IT guy and forgot about it.

The report in question is Crystal 10, with an ODBC connection to a SQL Server 2000 database.

So I opened the report on site and went to database, set database location, and there was no SQL ODBC DSN setup at all. So I looked at existing reports - many of which I wrote - and saw that the data source location was an IP address.

I was able to set the data source location to the IP address and my new report works. However, why is this showing an IP address? I have never seen this in my 10 years working with Crystal.

Is he using a native SQL connection? If so can anyone discuss the negatives or positives of using this connection method as opposed to a simple ODBC connection?

All insights appreciated.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

He might be using JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) or JNDI (Java Naming and Directory Interface) connections on his BOE-XI infrastructure.

This is easier to set-up and maintain if the BOE-XI infrastructure is on a non-Windows server (eg. AIX).

Also, the JNDI allows for a 3rd party server (eg. Websphere) to manage the connection to the Database rather than having all those details embedded in the RPT file. This is considered to be a better security method for DB info by some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back