Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP 1616 with3 BM32 side cart button issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBATech173

Technical User
Dec 12, 2008
US
Hey Guys, I've been racking my brain around this issue and I'm about out of options. Customer has an IP500 V2 running 8.1.79, which we just flashed them to recently, and they have an operator with a 1616 and 3 BM32 carts attached. What happens is that the 3rd BM32 cart mimics the 2nd BM32 cart's buttons and just stops working. Rebooting the phone is the only way to restore it. After a few hours, though, the problem returns. Here's what I tried: Replaced the 1616 phone, swapped around the order of the BM32 carts, installed all new BM32 carts AND verified that they were the correct model type specifically for the 1616 model phone, flashed their software from 8.1.63 to 8.1.79, verified that the BM32 model had the correct firmware in them and yesterday I unplugged them all and then plugged them in one by one to the 1616 phone to allow them to flash individually. Once that was done, I plugged them all back in. Again, all of the BM32 carts function just fine. The 3rd one just does this after a few hours. I've searched for all kind of solutions but most of my finds are from a few years ago. I'm really looking for something recent. ANY and ALL input would be welcomed. Thanks.

Eli

ipolmans,

Yes, we have. They did have it powered using a PoE switch but we had them disable the port for power and installed a power supply directly to the 1616 phone.

Eli

The 3rd BM32 needs to be powered by a brick, the other two can run power from the phone.

acss sme acis sme acss cm 5.2.1 acss cm and cmm acss aura messaging.

If you can, test the voltage from the 2nd button module and see what you get. Despite Avaya stating that you can have 3 I've had issues where the power was insufficient by the time it hit the 3rd DBM. Maybe a different power supply with higher voltage will do the trick.

Smokinjoe2938, Do you mean that the 3rd cart needs to be powered individually ? If so, nothing I've read though Avaya docs stated that. Only that if you're using 3 of the BM32 carts, a power supply is needed for the 1616 phone.

Eli

yes run a separate power supply for the 3rd BM32 module, the other two should be able to pull power from the 1616 telephone

should" is a lovely word and usually wrong. Any 1600 phone with more than one button module must be powered directly rather than with PoE.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

he does not mention how he currently has them powered up poe switch or a power supply but yes I agree I would run external power supplies for any phone running more than 1 BM32 module, however he had no problem with the 1st two so curious now as to how he currently has them set up

Guys, I did say that the 1616 is currently on a power supply with the 3 BM32 carts attached to it. I'll try attaching a power brick to the 3rd BM32 cart separately. I'm guessing that it's connected this way: Out of the MOD port of the 2nd BM32, plug that into the power port of the bring and then the phone port to the phone port of the 3rd BM32 cart. Is that correct ? Also, am I using an 1151 power brick ?

Eli

So, I looked into using a power brick but the ports on the brick don't fit the cable that the BM32 uses. That cable has a specific RJ45 tip that has an extra grove on it and the power bricks are designed for a standard RJ45 tip connection. Am I going to have to make a custom cable in order to use the brick ?

Eli

The cable comes with the power supply

1151d1 power supply, you can also google this to be sure but I believe this is the correct one

So, I tried plugging an 1151D1 power supply and the 3rd BM32 still goofs up. I plugged it into the 1616 phone. Should I be plugging it into the BM32 instead ? And, if so, how would that work ? The ports on the power supply don't fit the ports on the BM32.

The 3rd BM32 needs to be powered directly, the other two BM32 should run power from the phone providing the Phone is also powered.

AndrePa, the default cords for the 1151D1 and the cords for the BM32 are different from each other. They don't fit. Did you have to make custom cables of my own ? Also, for the connections, am I coming OUT of the 2nd BM32, into the POWER port of the 1151d1, out of the PHONE port of the 1151D1 and into the 2rd BM32 ?

Eli

They are different and that is why i still do not understand the 3rd module needs to be powered from the power brick.
The docs say power brick in front of the phone.
I recall seeing something about it but i think the pin layout is different.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back