Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iostat question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcclnoodles

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2004
GB
Hi there, can anybody help me to understand why on some of my solaris boxes when I type "iostat -En" (as root) it just returns to the next prompt giving me no output at all ? however if I type just "iostat" it gives me the expected single line output ?? heres a snippet ...

# iostat
tty cmdk0 cmdk1 cpu
tin tout kps tps serv kps tps serv us sy wt id
0 1 55 6 1 1768 192 1 7 3 0 89
#
#iostat -En
#
#

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Are they SCSI disks in the system, or IDE? Maybe it can only report such stats for SCSI?

Annihilannic.

well, it normally comes back with the CDROM details as part of the output, and theyre invariably IDE so it definately reports IDE as well

im baffled

Do they appear in netstat -k? Usually you will see a paragraphs like this for each disk:

[tt]ssd137,err:
Soft Errors 0 Hard Errors 3 Transport Errors 0 Vendor 1397047623
Product 1398027063 Revision 808793409 Serial No 808793141 RPM 10025 Heads 24 Size 17 385613824
Media Error 0 Device Not Ready 0 No Device 3 Recoverable 0
Illegal Request 0 Predictive Failure Analysis 0[/tt]

Annihilannic.

what OS are you running,

I know there is an issue with 2.6 having to do with patch 106655-04. If this patch is installed then iostat -En will fail.

I have not heard of any other issues for recent versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back