Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IOS/WIC-2T/?? problem on Cisco 2611 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0cky

Technical User
May 24, 2001
ES
Currently running a Cisco 2500 IOS 11.2(12) with one of the serial ports through an IDNX. I have four spare 2611's with WIC-2T cards & have been trying to get one of them up using IOS 12.3(6a). No problems loading the IOS and configuring the serial port. Local loopback on my IDNX shows both serial port and line protocol up. Remote loopback shows the same. When put on line the protocol stays up 27 seconds, goes down for 3 seconds, then back up...etc. Have tried three different routers, each with their own WIC-2T's and get the same result. Also tried IOS 12.2.15T12. My 2500 keeps plugging along, but I need to get the new IOS on the 2611's so I can have redundant systems,

Played with keepalives...changed times, used "no".......
Encapsulation HDLC all.
I've used 6 cables....and both 530's and 232's.
Tried inverting tx clock.
Same result on all.
Can ping serial port on local and remote loopbacks, but not online.

Have a pending TAC with Cisco, who says I should try a WIC-1T card. Am awaiting delivery of it, but really don't
"feel" that's the problem.
Has anyone else encountered similar difficulty or have a suggestion?

Hi R0cky

Did TAC ask about memory in your router?

It may be that there is not enough to provide buffers for both ports on the WIC, even though only one port is actually in use. Can't see why a WIC-1T would fix it otherwise.

EB

EB...
TAC never specifically asked about memory, but they have a "sho tech" from me. Also received and installed the WIC-1T card and got the same results. Gonna try router on another connectivity that doesn't use IDNX....beginning to think that might be problem. Thanks for the input.

Hi rocky,

You can also try one things, if you can:
disable local keepalives on your router and enable remote keepalives.

Regards
Sujeet..

Network Consultant
MCP/CCNA/CCNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back