Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Iomega Zip USB doesn't work with Win2k Professional 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

electron

Programmer
Nov 4, 1999
AU
I have a new p.c. (ASUS A7V133 motherboard with 1.4GHz AMD Athlon processor and 512k RAM and CD-ROM). The internal IDE ZIP 100 drive would not work properly with this system. Experienced huge delays in backing up or copying files. I changed from IDE to external USB ZIP 100 drive. I can now use the Iomega tools and back-up software only if I am logged on as the Administrator. If I log on as a Power-user, the Iomega software cannot locate the drive and I can only use the drive as a normal hard-drive and consequently I cannot use Iomega backup in this mode. I cannot install the IOMEGA detection software as a Power-user. I have tried all the usual Properties for the drive and USB connections, etc. in Harware Manager but no amount of enables and disables fixes the problem. Any Ideas?

Hi electron

I have experienced problems with the Iomega Zip 100 internal drive. My PC would appear to lock up when transfering files to the Zip drive.
If your system uses a VIA chipset, as mine does you may need to download a patch from the IOMEGA website at
You will see a table and in there "Windows 2000 Drivers" try downloading the "Slow Performance / Hang Beta Patch" for Zip 100 ATAPI drives.

I hope this helps

Regards

Hi Gazzabob, Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try and let you know. Bye. Electron.

Hi Gazzabob, Sorry to say I did not have a good experience with the slow-performance/beta patch. After I installed it and re-booted, Win2k could'nt find the C:\ drive and would not boot up. Ah, I thought, I will use my Win2k system-backup diskette which I created out of the Win2k back-up program to get the machine started, (as per Win2k instructions). No, you needen't even ask, it didn't work. So much for stability of Win2k professional sofware. After much heart rendering thoughts of having to take the machine back to the supplier, I used the BIOS to force a boot off the Win2k CD. Fortunately I was able to do a repair of my installation instead of a whole new installation. The C:\ drive re-appeared, thank goodness. I can laugh now but I wasn't laughing last night. Bye. Electron.

I have the same problems with my epson scanner software. I think it may have to do with registry entries when installing software. Maybe you can find out how to enter a registry entry so that all users can use the backup software when they log on.

Chris

Hi everyone, the problem is solved and has to do with permissions. If you can do something as an Administrator and you can't do it with a Power-user, say, (as this problem has been), then the way to fix it is quite simple, (when you know how of course). You go into Contol-Panel, Administrative-Tools, Computer-Management and then "Local Users and Groups" and then "Users" and then right-click on the User in question, (probaly your own log-in), to get into Properties of that User. Click on the "Member-of" tab and then "Add" the group you want to belong to. In my case it was "Administrators". So even though I am not logged on as the Administrator, I obvioulsy get some Administrator permissions. Apply all of that, get out of all of that, log out and log in again as your normal user log-in and you should have access to the device you want. I hope this helps others. By the way, you have to do this process of changing permissions while logged in as an Administrator. The other part of this problem is an obvious lack of knowlege of how Win2k permissions work with Users and Groups; chief culprit being myself. Any suggestions on a good book for Win2k Professional?. Bye.

There is another solution... You can always have programs run with other permissions.. I have used this successfully in the past, the only caveat is that the normal user must have the admin password. I guess this is not an issue any longer, since you just assigned the user admin privs...

debonair-one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back