Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Iomega 400M and W2k updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandy34

MIS
Nov 11, 2005
US
Hi,
This is more of an attempt to gain information than looking for a fix.
I have an Iomega 400M NAS running Windows 2000 that has been kicking along no problem till yesterday morning. It stopped responding to users requests to store or retrieve information and when I remoted in it told me it needed to reboot in order to finish a Microsoft update. I couldn't get it to respond to users so I rebooted it. That was the mistake, apparently one of the updates is fatal to software SCSI controllers on Windows 2000 and Iomegas response is that we shouldn't have been running updates on the NAS. Guess I should have already known that...
Anyway, is this just a line they're feeding me or has anyone else seen something similar.
I can start the thing in safe mode but none of the SCSI drives show up. If I try to use Windows Recovery Mode I'm told there's a "hardware problem" and nothing else comes up.
Right now we're going to try to load the drives on a server and use some forensic software to retrieve the data. I'll let you know how it turns out since a professional service will cost somewhere around $10K and I'm a little miffed about it.
Thanks,
Sam

This is not a BS line. Anytime you use MS Storage Server, auto updates should be shutoff and only applied when the manufactuer states to.

Well that would have been a good thing to know before I applied the service packs for Win2000. I didn't like hanging out on the network with a SP2 security hole waiting to be exploited.
This is the only place I've seen anything indicating that updates shouldn't happen on that device. Even the manf doesn't say anything on their tech support or site FAQs. Recovery sucks. After the recovery we're going FreeBSD and forget about all the heartache of worrying if M$ will break something else for me.
Thanks for the info though.
Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back