Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Iomega 100 Zip drive, "Please insert a disk into drive X"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispyderman98

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2003
US
I have an Iomega 100 Internal IDE Zip drive. Recently, I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. I had to repair Windows due to several Windows XP driver issues. The system works great, butt... Since then, everytime I try to access my Zip drive I get "Please insert a disk into drive XX", followed by Autoplay starting, then Explorer crashing! I've installed the latest drivers from Iomega's website. No luck. Same problem. I also checked all hardware and cable connections. I'm guessing that there's a driver/registry problem in my Windows install. Does anyone have any information for repairing the Iomega reg keys and drivers in Windows XP Pro in order to get my Zip drive working again? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You could try: remove the Zip drive drivers from Device Manager. Turn off the computer and remove the IDE cable to the zip drive. Reboot the computer. Turn the system off. Reconnect the IDE cable and reboot the computer. The "Add Hardware" should find the Zip drive and reinstall it. XP has problems with assigning the proper "space" to Zip drives when installing the O.S.

Micker377's advice is the best and first thing to try.
Should that fail, then since there are likely to be others with the same problem perhaps you might find the answer either by googling your exact error message or go back to iomega website and check their FAQ section.

I suppose you could also try and move the zip drive to another ide connector if you have room.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back