Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IObit = Malwarebytes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
Ironically, I just installed IObit Security 360 and was testing it when I ran across this article from ComputerWorld. Malwarebytes is accusing IObit of stealing their database and database format.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Really, that is interesting, but i am not suprised as China is the meca for stolen software. Good showing point, I guess we must research new products and names.

xit

Speaking of stolen software from China...

One time a friend and I were working on a project for a TI DSP. My friend had purchased a cheap jtag emulator from a company in Beijing called Icetek. The thing didn't real well, acting really squirrelly, disconnecting, locking up, being really slow, etc. We messed around with it for several hours and I forget what, but something pointed us towards Blackhawk as far as a driver to try. He downloaded the Blackhawk driver and low and behold, when the device was plugged in it was immediately recognized as a Blackhawk emulator with a device ID number and a serial number. Apparently, someone copied the ASIC in the thing, made a board around it, and then tried to cover it up with some crappy drivers.

Bummer. I've been recommending their free SmartDefrag. Seems to do a better job than Windows and other free defraggers I've looked at. Now I wonder if they stole the defrag engine from one of the paid products.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Same thing for Advanced System Care.

Yeah, I've been more and more impressed by their products - Security 360, Smart Defrag, and Advanced System Care, of late.

Now it's got me wondering if ANY of their products are original. Well, it'll be interesting to know, anyway.

Also, I'd be shocked to find out if they ARE using Malwarebytes' database. I mean, I've tried both on the same system, and though 360 works pretty well, I don't think it's as good as MalwareBytes... just from the few times I've used both.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Okay, I just read the article myself. I suppose at this point, I need to be finding alternatives to all their software.

I noticed this part at the end, and found it interesting:
Article said:
And it gets worse.

Kleczynski concludes his forum posting with:

"During the course of our investigation, we uncovered additional evidence that IOBit may have stolen the proprietary databases of other security vendors as well. We are in the process of contacting these vendors."

I'm curious, now, as to what other vendors they're talking about. For the ASC application, I'd think that part of it COULD have come from the likes of Glary Utilities or possibly CCleaner. Well, I'm sure we'll find out eventually, if it does come to light.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back