Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invoicing a customer for a prepayment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppromos

Technical User
Nov 7, 2007
US
Hey all,

Hopefully this question will make some sense. With our industry, customers place orders that usually do not ship for at least a week. So we make quotes in Peachtree, and when the customer orders, we convert to a Sales Order. Then, when the order ships, we make an invoice from that Sales Order.

Now, there are some situations when the customer must make a prepayment. And usually, the customers simply reference the Quote they were given and simply send a check (payment) based on whatever % prepayment was agreed. Once received, prepayment is entered as usual in Receipts and then it is applied to the Invoice that is created when product ships to customer.

However, what if the customer says, "send me an invoice for the prepayment so we can pay based off of an invoice". Meaning, they don't want to make a prepayment until they get an invoice requesting them to make this prepayment. I've seen this referred to as a "Prepayment Invoice". How can you do that? The dilema is that the actual Invoice is not and will not be created until the product ships, perhaps a couple of weeks later. So if i just randomly make an invoice, and choose the "Apply to Sales" tab, then even when the prepayment arrives, i won't have a way of linking it to this order.

It seems like the only option i could figure out is to, regretfully, make an actual Invoice and use the "Apply to Sales Order" tab. I would select the Sales Order and then if, for example, the prepayment % was 50%, i would "ship" half of each line item. So if there was a 1000 pieces ordered at $1 each, i would tell peachtree that i "shipped" 500 pieces, thus producing an invoice for $500. Then when the order actually ships a week or so later, i will come in, make a new invoice, and the quantity will reflect the previous "prepayment invoice" and will be half the original quantity. This when i make the final invoice, it will be for the other 50% that the customer owes.

This seems like a retarded workaround. Is there an easier, cleaner, more logical way of doing this?

Thanks.

Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back