Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inventory PC's in network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Jan 18, 2004
NL
hello
im looking for a easy to use program that scans all PC's in a network, and makes an inventory of all software installed on the PC's.
anyone know a good program?
its a plus if i dont need to install client software on all PC's.

thnx

If you are using a windows based network, have a look at Microsoft SMS

Windows SMS is not that easy to use. Plus it requires a client to be installed on each pc.

But you do get a lot of information with SMS and you can even install a clien on windows 9x pc's to get information about.

Before you decided on what packaged to go for you should look for reviews on diffrent packages and check prices as some of the available ones are very expensive and you have to pay a high price to add more nodes.

Another thing you should check is do you need all the other stuff that you get with the package, sms is a HUGE tool that let you do lots of things. But we found it wasn't that easy to use for patchmanagment plus the fact that you have to have agents running on each workstations made it a bit cumbersome.

So in the end we decided to buy languard to do the patching, but I do miss the great inventory tool you had with sms.

yeah.
we use SUS for patchement. Software Update Service.
now i just downloaded DameWare NT Utilities. With that program i can do a software inventory.
its a huge program, with lots of tools. and it will be expenssive. i dont know how high the price can be here.
havent tried langguard yet, but i have tried MANY others.

If your looking for an easy to use inventorying tool, look no further, SysTrack from Lakeside Software is it.

SysTrack ships with over 770 precanned reports. Running hardware/software inventory reports takes seconds, and is 99.9% accurate! Not only will SysTrack help to track inventory, but it can also track changes occurring in the environment. Answer questions such as; What new software has been added? When? When was the latest patch applied? Is the CPU/memory on my machines changing?

SysTrack does require an agent to be pushed out to each machine you would like to gather data from. However, the Deployment Tool remotely pushes the agent to each machine, and installation can be completed in minutes.

Please contact me if you would like any additional information or to see a demo of SysTrack running in my environment.

Good luck!
Carrie3010@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back