Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invalid Use of NULL error on event procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

techguy2010

Technical User
Aug 28, 2009
US
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct area to be posting this in, but I thought I would see what help I can get. I've inherited a database (built by someone no longer with the company) that is used for recruiting purposes, but there is a portion of it that appears to not be functioning properly.

In the database there is a button to e-mail roster information, but upon clicking it, it gives an error of "Invalid Use of Null" (something similar to that - I don't have the exact error at this time which I know would be helpful).

When doing a debug of that error, it highlights the following portion of code:

Code:
strBody = DA.CreateRosterEmail(classID)

Looking at the code, I was able to see the following sections that appear to work in conjunction with each other

Code:
Private Sub EmailRosterDetails_Click()
    Dim DA As DataAccess
    Dim oLook As Object
    Dim oMail As Object
    Dim olns As Outlook.NameSpace
    Dim strBody As String
    Dim emailSubject As String

Set DA = New DataAccess

strBody = DA.CreateRosterEmail(classID)

If Not strBody = "" Then
        Set oLook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
        Set olns = oLook.GetNamespace("MAPI")
        Set oMail = oLook.CreateItem(0)

emailSubject = "Class Roster - " & DA.getClassDateByClassID(classID)

With oMail
            .To = agentEmailAddress
            .Subject = emailSubject
            .HTMLBody = strBody
            .Display
        End With
        MsgBox "Recruiting email report is being generated. Please check your outlook."
    Else
        MsgBox "There are no open classes to report on."
    End If
End Sub

The hightlighted area mentioned points to a module where the following was found:

Code:
Public Function CreateRosterEmail(classID As Double) As String
    Dim reportString As String
    Dim rosterRec As Recordset
    Dim lunchString As String

Me.CreateRosterRecordSet classID, rosterRec

If Not (rosterRec.EOF And rosterRec.BOF) Then

reportString = "<HTML><head><meta http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html; charset=iso-8859-1'>"
        reportString = reportString & "<style><!--table{font-family: 'Calibri', serif;font-size: 14px;table-layout: fixed;border: 1px solid #003057;}"
        reportString = reportString & "td {border: 1px solid #003057;border-collapse: collapse;padding: 5px;}"
        reportString = reportString & "td.bottom {height: 100px;text-align: left;vertical-align: top;padding: 5px;}--></style>"
        reportString = reportString & "<table><tr><td style='font-weight: bold; background-color: #b3d9ff; width: 140px;'>LastName</td>"
        reportString = reportString & "<td style='font-weight: bold; background-color: #b3d9ff; width: 140px;'>FirstName</td>"
        reportString = reportString & "<td style='font-weight: bold; background-color: #b3d9ff; width: 80px;'>ID1</td>"
        reportString = reportString & "<td style='font-weight: bold; background-color: #b3d9ff; width: 80px;'>ID2</td>"
        reportString = reportString & "<td style='font-weight: bold; background-color: #b3d9ff; width: 80px;'>ID3</td>"
        reportString = reportString & "<td style='font-weight: bold; background-color: #b3d9ff; width: 140px;'>WorkEmail</td>"
        reportString = reportString & "<td style='font-weight: bold; background-color: #b3d9ff; width: 250px;'>Schedule</td>"
        reportString = reportString & "<td style='font-weight: bold; background-color: #b3d9ff; width: 200px;'>Lunch/Dessert</td></tr>"
        rosterRec.MoveFirst
        Do While Not rosterRec.EOF
            If Not rosterRec!meal = "" Then
                lunchString = rosterRec!meal & ", " & rosterRec!dessert
            Else
                lunchString = ""
            End If
            reportString = reportString & "<tr><td>" & rosterRec!lastName & "</td><td>" & rosterRec!firstName & "</td><td>" & rosterRec!id1 & "</td><td>"
            reportString = reportString & rosterRec!id2 & "</td><td>" & rosterRec!id3 & "</td><td>" & rosterRec!workEmail & "</td><td>"
            reportString = reportString & Me.GetScheduleByScheduleID(rosterRec!scheduleID) & "</td><td>" & lunchString & "</td></tr>"
            rosterRec.MoveNext
        Loop
        reportString = reportString & "</table>"
    Else
        reportString = ""
    End If

CreateRosterEmail = reportString
End Function

As mentioned, I inherited this from someone else and I'm just trying to fix this portion of the database as it could prove helpful. I'm just trying to get a general idea as to what is holding up getting the e-mail roster button to work (and hopefully get it fixed). Let me know if there is any additional information.

Thanks in advance!

1. Check classID value you try to pass to procedure,
2. Try to raise error trapping setting to "break in class module" or higher (Tools>Options, "General" tab). This will allow break in CreateRosterEmail if error occurs here,
3. Check references, sometimes missing references generate unexpected errors.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back