Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

invalid system disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsutch

Technical User
Dec 22, 2002
US
The problem was that I could not boot up, I kept getting an error" invalid system disk" I had win98 on a primary part. and 2000 on a secondary. The win98 start-up disk booted, but i could not access fdisk, nor could I format the hard drive. It seemed like I tried everything, including trying to reload windows; nothing worked. Just when I thought the hard drive took a hike, I decided to try the floppy that came with one of my hard drives. None of the tools on the floppy worked untill I tried a low level format. It finally worked, then I could write the fat table and load windows. Now it works fine. Can someone please tell me what happened and why, so this does not happen again?
Thank you

It may have had a virus or some surface errors.

Thanks for the reply, but I could not boot up, so I used norton antivirus; did not find any. I also did a scandisk and surface test from dos, and that did not work.

You probably had a corrupted partition table. Low level writes the sector so fdisk can use it. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

edfair, when I tried a format, their was something wrong with the partition table, but how does it get corrupted, a virus?

how is always a strange question, with many many answers...
Did this happen right after the 2000 install?
The solution is out there. [morning]

no it did not , thats the strange part. it happened on my small 8g. hard drive that I play with. I had all ready installed 98 and 2000 on it, and everything worked fine for several weeks, untill I tried to boot up one day and got an invalid system disk error. This wouldn't normally bother me becouse I was able to correct the problem, but as someone who is constantly trying expand my electronics/computer background, I wonder how this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back