Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invalid Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gk17

Technical User
Sep 6, 2013
US
Hi,

I have a two part problem:

I'm using Crystal Reports 2013 and having some problems setting up the printer for this report. I'm getting the following error whenever I open up the report:

"This report uses an invalid printer. The default printer will be used instead."

I searched online and one of the suggestions was to try setting the margins automatically which didn't work. I do not want to set it to No Printer and definitely do not want to set this specific printer as the default on the server either. This report will be one of many that will be printing to different printers. The strange thing is that if I change the Name of the printer to use the hostname, it seems to take it. Anything else like "TestPrinter" won't be accepted. I have another printer (same model) where I can call it whatever I want (including names with spaces) and don't have problems. Does using the proper driver have anything to do with this or Crystal Reports won't even know to check this? I'm using generic drivers for this printer and the other identical model one which doesn't seem to cause an error when I open up the report.

My second problem is how do I set up my printer to work with BusinessObjects Server 4.0? I went to the Applications > Crystal Reports Configuration > Printer List and couldn't get any of my reports printed. These were using other printer models which I used the correct drivers for. Is Printer Name, the Shared Name or local printer name (assigned by me manually on the server) for the printer or is it the hostname? For Printer Connection, do I use the Shared name (\\path\sharedprintername)?

Thanks.

The first error comes up when the printer associated with the report is not configured on what ever machine you opened the report on. I do not know of a way to dynamically change what printer it will print to. Since BI 4.0 is a web based product, I believe the report will print to whatever printer the user at time chooses to print to. There may be a way with subscriptions, but we have never used subscriptions. Most of our users either view the report on the server or download it to their local machine.

Thanks for the reply.

These reports are all automated on BI 4.1 platform. I thought the Print Settings (under the properties of the report) was used for this purpose? I couldn't see my printers initially even though they were installed on this server. Then I found out that I had to add them in the Printer List under Applications > Crystal Reports Configuration. Just need to know if I'm adding it correctly now.

Will try testing out the printer again. That error is strange though because it doesn't show up if I name the printer the same as my hostname. Once I change it to anything else, it gives me that error when I open up the report.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Will also post any progress on my end.

Thanks.

Just wanted to post an update on this. Problem has been resolved. Under the Printer List, I was using the network path and printer shared name (\\path\printername) instead of just the printer name itself as defined on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back