Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invalid Path after burning a CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbloodaxe

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2003
PT
I backed up loads of important stuff to CD and it looks like it´s all there but when I try to open a file I get a windows (XP) error telling me the path is invalid. If I look at the properties of the file there are some odd looking characters at the end of the path name. So the files are there but I can´t open them or copy them. Any ideas on how I can get access to them?

If you were using NTBackup, the native XP backup utility, you cannot access individual files.

I didn´t backup I just used a CD creation tool. I can open a few of the files on the disk from one folder but files from the other folders give me the "invalid path" error. I created 2 identical CDs and the problem is the same on both. All the file properties look OK apart from the path.

Is the burner BURN Proof? You could have an underrun problem - the list of filenames is written to the disk, but the files themselves aren't. Or - try slowing your burn speed down; burn at 8x or something relatively slow, and see if you have more success.

Might not work, but use the DOS or 8.3 names. Go to a command prompt (XP) or a dos prompt (98). In xp\2000 type dir /x to see the folder names in the old style, in 98 it's just dir. It will look something like: myfold~1 instead of "my folder". Then using the funny names given do a "cd" command. Something like this:
d: The cd drive letter
dir /x Lists the file names
cd myfold~1 Changes to the funny directory

Sorry if this is too simplified, but you get the drift.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Thanks for the replies. I do not have the option of re-burning the CD as I sold the PC that I copied the original files from (thanks Lewistopher).
I already tried the command prompt but I get an ´invalid parameter´ error when I try to copy the files from the CD to another location (thanks jontmke).

You have to put quotes around long file names in a command prompt. Like: copy "d:\my music\ozzy fest.mp3"

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back