Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

invalid page fault module 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor9

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
US
I just got a cable modem connection (via USP port). The cable tech support people can ping me & I can ping the number ip addresses. I can not ping name IP ad. Also, on ftp I get a socket error (10047). I can not access internet at all.

I get the following Explorer error whenever I open my Internet Explorer/Yahoo messenger or any internet application:

&quot;Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:00640070&quot; & then I 've to re-start again

I need help. Please advise. I am still hopeful that I will be able to enjoy the benefits of cable modem connection.

Thanks
V

You need to find out from your Internet provider what your DNS server is. Once that is configured your browser will be able to point to the right server(s) to translate the domain names to IP addresses.

Laleh

Also, for whatever it's worth...

I've had some bad experiences with high-speed Internet access using a modem connected via USB. The problem almost always seems to stem from the drivers that must be loaded for the USB modem device.

Perhaps you should try an Ethernet connection (which is supported by most cable/DSL modems). Then you could configure your Ethernet adapter to use DHCP to obtain its address, mask, gateway, and DNS entries automatically. Unless your provider has given you a static IP address (which is highly unlikely) this should work.

Chris

It is a problem with WINSOCK... If you don't have alot of info to lose reinstalling your OS will fix it if you do, I'll try and post the fix tomorrow. (It's at work.) It involves editing the registry and stuff, so if you don't think that you can handle that have a friend that knows computers help... ;)

The normal things you will see with a socket 10047 or socket 0 are exactly what you said... Can ping an IP but not a domain, unable to display page in IE and it will you tell you the socket error if you try to FTP... It is a common problem with 98SE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back