Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invalid Installation: Please Re-Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmsacrui

MIS
Sep 4, 2003
BE
One of my users running xp prof, keeps on periodically getting the message "Invalid Installation: Please Re-Install" It shows no reference to any program or process.

Any ideas what it refers to, and how I can get rid of it!!

Thanks.

Any further information in your Event Viewer?

Could it be a joke or hoax, normally you would expect some program to be mentioned as the source.

Removing adware & spyware
Before Posting a Hijack log file - Best Practices
faq608-4650

Sometimes problems with long file or invalid file names may cause this type of message.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

I would like to expand upon linneys post
run scf/scannow on your pc with the XP CD at hand. This may help you because it could be a system file courrupted.
I would follow the steps outlined in FAQ608-4650 making sure you do run
Spybot Search and Destroy
Adaware 6.0 fully updated. This sorts out lots of hoaxes and problems
But as vbainchicago said a reinstall will probably fix the problems you are currently experiencing

My bet is the error message is thrown not from XP but from a "failed" installation of software that can be found by looking, using the MSCONFIG tool, at your Startup program list.
There is some suggestion in the Newsgroups that it comes from a MS Office 2000 installation; other suggestions that it is an error message from the WISE installer or Installshield.

If the error does not repeat when a different user profile is used on the same computer, and you have Office 2000 installed, remove Office 2000 for that user with Control Panel, Add/Remove programs and reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back