Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

invalid disk system, insert disk press any key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouse333

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
US
Hello. My computer froze up and I switched the power surge off to reboot but winME will not open and there isn't a floppy disk in the drive. I tried to use a win98 startup disk but it still won't work but I don't have winME startup disk.

any solutions? thanks

Hi,

You can goto to get a Windows ME startup disk and try that.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

"invalid disk system, insert disk press any key"

The basic problem lies with the BIOS and the motherboard. If you can't boot to a floppy disk and it doesn't recognize a hard drive, it's a good bet that damage has occurred to the motherboard. That may be why the computer froze. Hard to tell for sure what the problem is but it may need a trip to a shop.

You should have been able to boot to a windows 98 startup disk so long as the boot option is set in the bios so it searches the floppy first or before the hard drive. When you turn it on with a floppy in it does the light go on at the floppy drive so you know it's trying to read it? You could also try a bootable cdrom disk if you have one. Once you get to the a: change to the c: and type dir and see if it will read your hard drive. My first guess would be your hard drive.
Keep us updated,
Cindy [ponder]

Thanks. but I have tried all the solutions suggested here but it still doesn't work. could it be a virus? Now I'm just wondering what the problem is before I take it in.

What happens when you try to boot from a floopy disk? Does the bios actually recognise the hard drive (does it appear on POST screen)?
Can you get into the bios - it might need resetting - there's usually a load defaults option. Is it set for Auto on Primary IDE connection?

Mouse I don't think there is an easy fix for this. If you are familiar with the inside of the computer, I would disconnect the floppy and cdrom cables so that the only drive that is connected is the hard drive. Then if that doesn't boot then try and change the cable to the secondary controller and see if it will boot from there. If the hard drive is good it should be able to boot from either controller. When you turn on the computer does the keyboard flash and do you here any beeps? If you take out the memory then turn it on you should here constant beeps, if not the cpu is bad (unless you have a compaq). I hope that helps. If these suggestions fail please tell us how it fails it helps when diagnosing the problem.
Cindy [ponder]

Boot the computer with the bootdisk.
At the A:\>type sys c: [Enter]
This will copy the system files from the bootdisk
to the hard drive making it bootable.

Mesich

thank you all for your help but i took it in the hard drive went bad and its only a year old computer. compaq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back