Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invalid Boot Disk after joining Server 2003 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnyjim

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2001
EU
Hi All,

Just added 8 Windows 98 clients to a Windows 2003 Server domain which worked fine.
Each W98 machine , on seperate occasions has booted to the message " Invalid Boot Disk " . The only way to get around this is to alter the BOOT.INI file but even so , the problem repeats itself in a few days.
I've ran a full scan of the machines usiing DOS-Based Norton AV and found no virus ( which I find hard to believe ).

The other machines on the Domain are XP and 2000 - of which none have been affected by this problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this really irratating problem please??
Cheers
Jim

"What happens if I press *that* button?"

Hang on there...

Now, I do have the flu this week, but curious, I don't remember 95, 98, or ME having boot.ini. Are these dual boot OSes?

And does this happen on all 8 computers? And only started after attaching to the domain?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back