Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invalid argument on table

Status
Not open for further replies.

camidon

Programmer
May 9, 2000
US
I have a very strange problem. I have a table that a user has been working in and something has gone very wrong. There is one field that has #Error in it and if I attempt to just MOUSE OVER IT, it gives me an Invalid argument error and locks me up. I can't export the data in the table and I can't edit any data in the table! If I do, it locks up the program and kicks me out. I can't even export it to Excel and when I attempt to import the table from another access database, it gives me the same "Invalid Argument" error and then stops running. I can't even TAB into the field.

Any ideas? I've tried everything I know how..

Oh and btw, I can't compact and repair either!

Hi

How about creating a new table with same structure, cut and paste all rows upto but not including the 'duff' one and all rows following the 'duff' one into the copy table, then manulaly re-eneter the data for the 'duff' row into the copy table, then delete the original

If that works I would make new database and import all objects from original

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Just a note to anyone reading this thread.
I had exactly the same problem a number of times and it turned out to be a Memo field in all cases.

I would avoid using them if you can get away with it.

Hi,

I have had this 'Invalid argument' error when my database exceeded a size of 2 gigabytes. Is your DB as large as that ?

Paul

PualoRico,

Interesting that you mention that you had a problem with memo fields. I just took a look at the database and it turns out that there are 2 corrupted fields on the same row and BOTH of them are MEMO fields!

Thanks for the help guys! As always tek-tips saves my life!!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back