Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intrusion Prevention System 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksweeney

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2006
US
Any recommendations on an IPS? We have 900 users, 100 servers and need something easy to use since we don't have enough people or time to be an expert.

Thank you,
Kevin Sweeney

Are we talking a budget? If so, you can look into ISS's products. Pricey, but effective. Even Sourceforge has IPS products. Not sure about the price though.

Snort also has the capability, although I'd be weary of some of the "protection schemes".

So far no budget restrictions. Looking to stem the attacks.

Also take a look at SecureWorks.

Jim W MCSE CCNA
Network Manager

We use Tippingpoint. They work quite well and are very tweakable.

you could ask your ISP if they offer the service and let them manage attacks, or maybe use Cisco Guard IPS

Cheers

What firewall product are you currently using? most of todays firewalls have the capability of IPS with just a software upgrade.

I run Watchguard's x750e Firebox with the unified threat management package which includes IPS.

I love it. One box handles firewall, gateway A/V, IVS, and spammage.

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

A Cisco ASA is a very good choice for a firewall and VPN device.

Burt

If your network layout includes a Cisco 6509, you can also get a Firewall Switch Module (FWSM) that installs right into the 6509.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back