Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Introduction into intergrating XML with VC++/VB app development?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Blessing

Programmer
Feb 25, 2000
US
Hi , I'm just curious, I know XML is a lightweight markup language, and I have heard of some of the many benefits, but I was wondering how I could intergrate it's uses into either VB or VC++, from either I know theres probally a built in XML Parser (least with the latest service packs, or Platform SDK), some of the things I was wondering, is possible, VPN network communications(not the actual transfer of files, just information), or recordset displays, etc. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Dear Karl,<br><br>IE installs an ActiveX control that parses XML and XSL documents etc. The control is accessible from any COM enabled environment like VB, VC, ASP etc.<br><br>There are some great articles about using the control on Web Techniques web site. Also on msdn.microsoft.com. There is also a good XML introduction book from MS Press that includes using the MS XML Parser.<br><br>There are other parsers available on the net, some have source code available. Most are written in Java. I believe both IBM and SUN have free Java parsers.<br><br>They all vary in their levels of functionality.<br><br>Hope this helps<br>-pete<br>

Karl, I use the expat package available at the authors site (free): <br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <br><br>It is event driven - meaning that specific functions are called at the time a program specific tag &lt;?xxx&gt;, or &lt;xxx&gt; markup, or character data is encountered.<br><br>I use it as a base class for derived classes to parse for specific input/output behavior.<br><br>I have never used the MS parser, so I don't know the relative benefits, but expat has the&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>benefit of being simple.

Well I have heard that XML in general is supposed to be lightweight.<br><br>thanks for the information, I probally wont be getting into XML soon, unless it serves some very nice purpose with ASP.<br><br>btw I have no idea whats going on from another post, but some guy was saying that XML is to replace DCOM? I doubt it, he was probally confused. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

&gt;some guy was saying that XML is to replace DCOM<br><br>yeah, I saw that also, I had a good chuckle. I think he is confused after reading about SOAP<br><br>-pete

I've managed to intergrate XML into VB6 via Webclassing.<br>Instead of returning HTML you can return XML.<br><br>Wrox do a book on the subject of XML/VB6 and is worth checking out, not sure on the title though.<br><br> <p>Ben Marshalsea<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Re:&nbsp;&nbsp;Microsoft's new vision .NET, SOAP.<br><br>COM = Microsoft future &quot;legacy&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;class library, SOAP = new DCOM.<br><br>The object request broker (ORB) specifications of COM (i.e., DCOM and MIDL) are<br>effectively replaced with a new set of specifications (SOAP, SOAP Contract Language and SOAP Discovery).<br><br>On 11 July 2000 at its annual Professional Developers Conference, Microsoft revealed .NET Framework — the new set of class libraries at the core of .NET.<br>The new class framework does not use the COM classes. Microsoft describes its new programming model as a productivity and flexibility improvement over COM, and<br>claims seamless compatibility of the new Web Services components and the &quot;traditional COM&quot; components. <br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back