Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Introducing new media to tape rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

fvcu

MIS
Apr 12, 2000
CA
We just bought a Storagetek L20 tape library with Veritas BackupExec 8.6.
All of our previous DLTIV tapes are not compatible with the DLT1 drive so they must be degaussed in order to re-use them with the tape library or we must purchase all new tapes. Either way, it will be new media introduced to the backup routine.
[red]My problem is:[/red]
When I introduce new tapes with the barcodes for the appropriate media sets, I place the new media directly into the media set. I have set Veritas to take re-cylable media from the media set but it doesn't. It goes to the scratch media and just selects the first available tape, regardless of the label. As a result, it takes media labeled for another media set and I must manually change DLT labels and edit the backup log files.
Because I have around 125 DLTIV tapes to bring into the cycle, this automation solution is for the birds.
Have I done something wrong in my procedure?
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back