Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron37

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
Hello,
I just have on quick question. I've built an intranet using IIS with windows 2000 professional as the operating system. Am I limited to only 10 connections to my intranet?
If so what are my options? It stated only 10 connections but I wasn't sure if that also applied to an intranet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A.Davis

yup, 10 is the limit for pro.

that is 10 connections, so if you map a drive to the web server, that's a connection.

if someone is FTPing data to the server, that's another connection

the only option is to upgrade to server.

I've been hearing that it's not possible to upgrade windows 2000 professional to server. I have 2000 server but don't want to perform a clean install any suggestions?

You cannot upgrade from professional to server.
What you can try is to use a tool named iissync.
With IISynch you can have a copy of your current IIS config to another computer.
the trick could be something like:
you need 2 computers : A, B.
copy IIS config to another pc: A -> B
A - Install w2k server
From B initiate iisynch to A.
If you are using iisynch method, you have to define again the IUSR and WUSR accounts.
like:
Cscript adsutil.vbs SET W3SVC/WAMUserName domain\IWAM_uniquename

Cscript adsutil.vbs SET W3SVC/WAMUserPass "userpassword" Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

I found out that you can change the max connections to 40 without any problems in windows 2000 professional.

A.Davis

Nice, don't you want to share the trick with us? Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

aaron, could you please share. So far the only solution I came up with is to use Service Pack 1 or older. "Evidentally", Service Pack 2 and newer had gone through and made the max connections 10.

Sorry for not sharing this sooner. All you do is go into control panel, administrative tools, Internet Services manager, click on your computer name and right click default web site to view properties. Under connections change limited to from 10 to any number 40 or less. You will get an error message that states operating system only allows 10 consecutive users but disregard. Your new user settings will remain. I tried it with 40 concurrent connections and it still worked. If you go over 40 the system resets itself back to 10. I hope this helps.

A.Davis

eh Aaron37 can u tell me how ur able to run IIS on Win2K Professional Edition, b'cos I'am unable to browse a asp page from IIS console, its not convering(parseing) the page to HTML, its just simply returning the ASP page as it is.

Hello,
I just installed IIS from the CD and accepted all the defaults. I set up all my sites under C:\inetpub\then open up a browser and type in the url which will be web folder/index.asp or whichever page. If it doesn't work you might try uninstall IIS and then reinstall. Let me know how it goes.

Aaron

Aaron, are you sure you can achieve 40 concurent connections in IIS despite the error message?

Hello,
Yes I'm sure, I used the counter and had 40 connections. When I tried 41 I got an error message, too many connections. Try it out.

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back