Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InterVLAN Routing with Cat 4232/4006

Status
Not open for further replies.

draum

MIS
Apr 17, 2001
US
I'm trying to get InterVLAN routing up and running on my Catalyst 4006, with L3 blade (4232).

Right now, I have all my ports sitting on VLAN 1. I would like to seperate these out, and actually make use of the L3 blade, rather than letting it sit there bored.

I have the two gigabit ports trunked (dot1q) and channeled into the router module, and I have port-channel1 created in the L3 blade, with a VLAN subinterface of port-channel1.10 for a test VLAN I've created. Now, I want to route between VLAN 1 (port-channel1 native VLAN) and VLAN 10 (port-channel1.10). However, I can't find any further documentation for how to get VLAN routing to operate through the L3 blade.

There's all sorts of information for the 5000 and 6000 series, but it doesn't really seem applicable to the 4232.

Do I need to configure bridging and BVI's, or is there some other special trick on the 4232?

Does every VLAN need to have a completely seperate IP subnet?

Thanks.

I'll go ahead and answer my own question, since I just noticed what I was doing wrong.

Assuming you have a configuration similar to the one I mentioned above (L3 gigabit ports trunked and channeled, port-channel created, g3/4 added to the proper channel-group), you must then create a subinterface for each VLAN *with* a coresponding separate IP address.

! po1.1 - VLAN 1
interface Port-channel1.1
encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
! po1.4 - VLAN 2
interface Port-channel1.4
encapsulation dot1Q 4
ip address 10.4.1.1 255.255.255.0

My previous configuration, which was not working, did not assign IP addresses to these subinterfaces.

Note that the subnets for each VLAN cannot overlap.

Finally found this at:
Hope this helps someone out!

Thanks that was a good reply. Yes of course to enable routing we need different networks configured! Ahh! This reminds me of all the stupid/lazy mistakes I have made during the sojourn of my routing/switching career. Thanks for reminding me ;)))

Graet - Looks like you are getting on well with this L3 services module.
There actually seem to be very little infomation on the 4000 L3 services. I was thinking of using a 4006 with L3 module for intervlan routing too, but with different configuration as follows -
module 1 - the 32 FE 10/100 for access & 2GBIC for uplink to data center. The uplinks to connect to core.
module 2 - 4306 GB 6 ports GBIC for uplinks to other wiring closet access switches. Each port defined as a separate VLAN

Question - Will the L3 module handle the intervlan routing (including the VLANs defined at module 2) i.e act as a L3 distribution switch ? Or in other words, are the L3 services available only for intervlan routing on ports on the same module or will it serve the other modules on this switch? (NB the finance folks will not let me get another 6006 !)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back